Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
Get the facts
Hilton Resortseforea: spa at Hilton
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Jacqueline ToppingsPHONE+1 703 883 6587 CONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
New York Hilton Midtown Celebrates 50 Years Of Legendary Service And Extraordinary Achievement
Hotel Plans Array of Special Consumer Promotional Activities Throughout Year in Honor of 50th Anniversary
May 16, 2013
NEW YORK - New York Hilton Midtown today announced the upcoming commemoration of 50 years of hospitality and personalized attention to New Yorkers and visitors from around the world. On June 26, 1963, legendary hotelier, Conrad Hilton officiated over the ribbon-cutting event when the hotel opened its doors for the first time, immediately generating awe and gathering accolades that continue to this day. The hotel was originally called "New York Hilton at Rockefeller Center" since the original boundaries of this iconic Art Deco building complex extended northward to West 53rd Street and Sixth Avenue.
"Conrad N. Hilton was a philanthropist whose vision was to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality," said Mark Lauer, general manager, New York Hilton Midtown. "During the coming months, the hotel will commemorate the company's dedication to world hospitality with special events and activities that showcase our legendary service and genuine hospitality."
To help mark this significant milestone in the hotel's history, New York Hilton Midtown is planning a series of promotional activities designed around the celebration:
- 50 Random Acts of Hospitality: Throughout 2013, New York Hilton Midtown employees will engage in random acts of hospitality, where they will offer unexpected generosity to a random guest. Random Acts can include complimentary room upgrades, umbrellas on rainy days, and tickets to local attractions or events. The gift will come with a card that encourages the recipient to "pay it forward"- to perform a random act of kindness or generosity, as well.
- Insider's Guide 50 to New York City Landmarks: Hilton New York Midtown staff will develop a list of their favorite, iconic destinations in Manhattan with "insider's tips," such as days when entrance is free or at a reduced rate; special features, and other little-known facts.
- newyorkhiltonmidtown50.com: New York Hilton Midtown is launching a dedicated site for the anniversary - newyorkhiltonmidtown50.com - where visitors can learn more about the hotel's fascinating history and the special events that accompany the celebration.
THE HOTEL THAT NEVER RESTS
If New York is the "City that Never Sleeps," New York Hilton Midtown could appropriately be named the "Hotel that Never Rests." Not only has the hotel undergone numerous renovations in its 50-year history, but it has also inspired and engaged guests and visitors with its classic New York experience.
- At its opening, New York Hilton Midtown was one of the first hotels in the world to feature original art in its guest rooms. Sculptures by famous artists graced the lobby and many of the public areas.
- In 1989, New York Hilton Midtown expanded its special-events space to nearly 150,000 feet with the addition of the Americas Hall. Connected to the hotel by a floating, glassenclosed walkway, the 36,000 square-¬foot facility has become one of the hotel's most popular convention and event staging locations.
- In 1999, New York Hilton Midtown became the first hotel in America to install a "smart card" keyless entry system as an enhanced guest room security measure. These micro-chip controlled key cards are ubiquitous in better hotels, today.
- In the past decade, the New York Hilton Midtown has become a leader in environmental sustainability and stewardship.
- In 2007, the hotel installed a combustion-free PureCell system, which generates electric power and hot water throughout the hotel, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- In 2009, New York Hilton Midtown was the recipient of the 2008-2009 Environmental Recognition Program - "Green Street Award" by the Avenue of the Americas Association for its environmentally-friendly energy fuel cell.
- In 2010, the hotel completed a 16,000 square-foot green-roof system on its fifth floor roof to facilitate carbon capture, energy conservation and reduction of the Urban Heat Island effect.
- A highly efficient cogeneration plant, which became fully operational in 2013, now provides more than 50 percent of the hotel's electrical power and more than 40 percent of the steam needed for heating and hot water requirements. It is the largest cogeneration system of any New York City hotel, reducing the New York Hilton Midtown's carbon footprint by 30 percent.
HISTORIC RED-LETTER DATES
New York Hilton Midtown's renowned hospitality and generous proportions have brought millions of visitors and thousands of notables through its doors. As the largest hotel in New York City - with the city's grandest, column-free ballroom - its proud history includes many celebrity "achievements." A select list follows. (New York Hilton Midtown has dozens of interesting facts and engaging story ideas to share. For information, photography and more, please contact the hotel.)
- 1964: New York Hilton Midtown experiences its own "British Invasion" when The Beatles arrive in New York to perform on "The Ed Sullivan Show." The famous rock n' roll group visited the hotel and made a magnificent penthouse suite - with sweeping city views and a grand piano - their home throughout the visit.
- 1971: John Lennon and Yoko Ono move to New York and stay at New York Hilton Midtown, where Lennon pens the lyrics to his most celebrated song, "Imagine," on hotel note paper. The original lyrics are currently on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
- 1973: On April 3, Martin Cooper makes the world's first public mobile phone call from a sidewalk outside New York Hilton Midtown, where he subsequently held a press conference announcing the landmark achievement. According to published reports, he called his development archrival Joe Engel, to rub it in. Forty years later, the National Academy of Engineering awarded Cooper its Charles Stark Draper Prize, often called the Nobel Peace Prize of engineering.
- 1982: Motown legend Stevie Wonder (a frequent visitor to the hotel) stops by the hotel to celebrate his own birthday. At 1:00 pm on May 13, 1982, Wonder entered the hotel's Mirage Lounge and asked if he might play the grand piano. He played and sang with the crowd while New York Hilton Midtown staff quickly concocted a birthday surprise of cake, candles and champagne, so the hotel and guests could sing "Happy Birthday" and toast him in proper fashion.
- 1993: John F Kennedy, Jr., first dips his toe into the publishing world during a seminar held at New York Hilton Midtown, "How to Launch Your Own Magazine." He subsequently launched George, an acclaimed "Not Just Politics as Usual" magazine that garnered a worldwide audience.
- 1995: Princess Diana is named "Humanitarian of the Year" by United Cerebral Palsy of New York during an awards ceremony held at New York Hilton Midtown.
- 2006-2007: New York Hilton Midtown, which has made multiple appearances on the big and small screens, takes a star turn in Spiderman III, American Gangster, El Cantante, Margaret, Michael Clayton, and Music & Lyrics.
- 2011: Scandinavian Heads of State, European royalty, top diplomats, and distinguished members of the U.S. and Nordic cultural, educational, business and philanthropic communities mark the 100th Anniversary of The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) during the black-tie Centennial Ball in October. Dignitaries attending the event included: Her Excellency Tarja Halonen, President of Finland, Their Majesties Queen Sonja of Norway and King Harald V of Norway, Their Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Queen Silvia of Sweden, Their Royal Highnesses Crown Princess Mary of Denmark and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Mrs. Dorrit Moussaieff and His Excellency Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, President of Iceland, and Princess Madeleine of Sweden.
"Throughout the year, we will continue to announce events and opportunities for guests, visitors and fans of the hotel to celebrate this landmark achievement with us," said Lauer. "We are passionate about service, integrity, leadership, teamwork, ownership and a sense of urgency, and we bring every one of these attributes to this year of special celebration as well as to our daily, ongoing operations."
Media can access additional information about New York Hilton Midtown at http://news.hilton.com/newyorkmidtown.
The 1,981-room New York Hilton Midtown, located in the heart of midtown Manhattan on Avenue of the Americas between West 53rd and West 54th Streets, is a sophisticated international hotel that appeals to both savvy business and leisure travelers seeking an ideal location that is in close proximity to all the world-famous attractions that New York City is famous for. The hotel is within a short walking distance of Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), Carnegie Hall, and just a few blocks away from Times Square, Broadway theaters and renowned Fifth Avenue shopping. Equipped with modern conveniences to meet all business and travel needs, the hotel features extensive facilities that accommodate large conferences and conventions, smaller meetings and elegant banquets. For reservations and or additional information, please call +1 212 586 7000 or visit the website at www.newyorkhiltonmidtown.com.
New York Hilton Midtown
+1 212 261 5836
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Founded in 1919 as the flagship brand of Hilton Worldwide, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to build upon its legacy of innovation by developing products and services to meet the needs of savvy global travelers at more than 550 hotels across six continents. Hilton is the stylish, forward-thinking global leader in hospitality with Team Members shaping experiences in which every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Access the latest news at news.hilton.com and begin your journey at www.hilton.com or www.hilton.com/offers for the latest hotel specials. View a list of official social channels at www.hilton.com/social. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is one of Hilton Worldwide’s ten market leading brands.