Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Hotels Lend Asia-Wide Support To WWF Earth Hour
Hotels get ready to switch off their lights across Asia for Earth Hour
March 17, 2009
SINGAPORE - Hilton Hotels Corporation (Hilton) today announced that 17 of its hotels in Asia will be joining the World Wide Fund for Nature's (WWF) Earth Hour campaign on Saturday, March 28, 2009. Hilton hotels in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Sri Lanka will be involved in this initiative.
WWF Earth Hour is a global campaign which hopes to eventually reach out to more than one billion people, asking individuals, businesses and Governments to switch off their lights for one hour on Saturday March 28 at 8:30pm. This symbolic gesture is designed to highlight the importance of action on climate change.
Andy Ridley, Global Director of Earth Hour for the WWF said: "The business community has an incredible ability and responsibility to engage employees, customers and suppliers to create a sustainable future for our planet, and we therefore welcome the involvement of major international businesses such as Hilton in Earth Hour."
At Hilton, the support of Earth Hour is estimated to reach countless guests and staff across the 17 participating hotels and will involve a wide range of activities in the region such as:
- Switching off main building exterior lighting and rooftop neon signage
- Hosting candle lit dinners in hotel restaurants and bars
- Encouraging guests to switch off their room lights
- Developing a special "energy saving" menu for the day
- Leading an "environmental walk" with guests into the hotel's local community to pick up any biodegradable litter for recycling
- Standardising air conditioning temperatures at 25 degrees in rooms and public areas
- Advising all guests to check out Earth Hour activities and encouraging them to get involved
- Creating Earth Hour staff committees at hotels to help raise awareness and engage team members
Speaking about Hilton's support of Earth Hour, Martin Rinck, President of Hilton Hotels Corporation - Asia Pacific said: "At Hilton we are committed to the heart of the communities in which we operate. Our support of Earth Hour will enable us to illustrate this in a tangible way, while simultaneously improving our environmental practices. Most of all Earth Hour at Hilton will allow our hotel team members to work together with our guests, to raise awareness that everyone can make a difference."
Hilton is committed to constantly working to improve its environmental performance and has already rolled out initiatives in some hotels such the award-winning zero-waste water footprint facility at Hilton Cebu. This comprises of a gray water and rainwater treatment processing plant, sewage treatment plant and a water desalination plant which was recently recognized by the Asia Pacific Roundtable on Sustainable Consumption and Production.
Globally, Hilton was one of the founding members of the International Tourism Partnership (www.tourismpartnership.org). This organization is designed to bring together leaders of some of the largest travel and tourism companies to work through collective, industry-wide action at local, destination and country level to encourage real progress towards a more sustainable hotel, travel and tourism industry.
The support of Earth Hour by Hilton Hotels Corporation in Asia is in addition to support given by the hotel group in Europe and the US.
About Hilton Hotels Corporation's Environmental Policy
The Hilton Family of Hotels recognizes its environmental responsibility and is committed to improving performance towards a sustainable future - all the while enhancing the guest and team member experience. To ensure sustainable business practices in the countries in which it operates, Hilton will:
- Embrace an environmental mission and strategy that encompasses each and every team member
- Focus upon key environmental commitments: Energy efficiency, CO2 reduction, water efficiency, waste reduction, renewable energy, and sustainable buildings and operations which include building design and construction, hotel and corporate operations, chemical management and purchasing
- Ensure that environmentally friendly initiatives and tactics will positively impact the guest experience
- Set targets, measure, benchmark, and continually improve our performance
- Liaise with its suppliers and business partners to improve their environmental performance
- Influence land use in harmony with nature and construction by promoting the use of established environmental best practices
- Support environmental initiatives within the local community
- Communicate its environmental achievements to team members and guests
- Publish performance against established goals.
About Earth Hour
On Saturday, March 28th, 2009 at 8:30 PM, people around the world will turn off their lights for one hour, Earth Hour, to show how by working together they can make a difference in the fight against climate change. Already over 1,300 cities and towns in 80 countries have committed to switch off their lights for Earth Hour, a symbolic event which is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage individuals, businesses and communities to take action to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. Earth Hour, led by world's largest and most experienced independent conservation organisation, WWF, aims to reach 1 billion people to illustrate the world communities' support for action on climate change.
Faith Thoms, Hilton Hotels Corporation - Asia Pacific
+65 6833 9762
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With more than 570 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.